Personal InjuryLaws involving accidents resulting in injury can be complicated. The Bernard F. Duhon Law Firm is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Society for achieving a personal injury jury verdict in excess of One Million ($1,000,000.00) Dollars.
Laws involving accidents resulting in injury can be complicated. Bernard F. Duhon is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Society for achieving a personal injury jury verdict in excess of One Million ($1,000,000.00) Dollars.
Protecting your rights is his number one concern.
1. Automobile, Truck or Motorcycle Accident– Let’s face it, we all spend a lot of time on the road… More than likely, at some point, you are going to be involved in an accident. And that accident may include injuries. If this happens to you, you may be faced with medical bills, inability to work, disability and/or pain. The law provides a remedy for your loss and suffering at the negligence of others.
A. WHAT TO DO IF IN A VEHICLE ACCIDENT?
Below is a list of things for you to keep in mind to protect your rights if you are in an accident:
1. Don’t attempt to move, unless you can do so without pain and injury.
2. Don’t’ move the cars.
3. Call the police.
a. Don’t be talked out of calling, without a police report, you may be unable to prove who is at fault.
b. Tell the policeman everything that happened. Don’t admit fault.
c. Tell the police where you are hurt, no matter how slight.
d. Be helpful and friendly to the police.
4. Get help to take pictures of the cars and scenes.
5. Get the names, phone numbers, and addresses of any eyewitnesses.
6. If you are hurt, go to your doctor or emergency room. Waiting too long to seek medical attention will cast doubt that your injuries were caused by the accident.
7. Report the accident to your insurance company.
a. Get a copy of the accident report for them.
b. If the report is inaccurate, call the police and ask him to correct the report.
c. If you have collision insurance, insist that your company repair your vehicle immediately.
8. If your injuries continue for more than a few days, see an attorney.
9. Get two (2) property damage estimates if you have no collision coverage, and give these to your attorney or to the other driver’s insurance company if you have no attorney.
a. Try to get the other driver’s insurer to repair your vehicle without signing any releases.
b. Get the other driver’s insurer to pay for your medical bills, without signing releases.
10. Never sign any releases until you are ready to settle your case.
11. You should never settle your case until your symptoms have disappeared and you are back to normal.
12. Don’t settle your case unless you have spoken to an attorney and have had your rights explained to you and your questions answered.
13. Don’t discuss any aspects of your case with unnecessary persons.
2. Wrongful Death– Sadly, each year, there are thousands of deaths due to the irresponsible actions or neglect of others. When someone you love dies due to the fault of another, the law provides that survivors may recover damages for the death of that loved one. And while money damages cannot bring back a loved one, it can give a family a way to continue to live a normal life. Bills can be paid, children can go to college. Medical and comforts of life can be provided for. Your family shouldn’t have to pay for someone else’s recklessness.
3. Boats/ Drilling Vessels/ Production Platforms– This is the oil patch. Thousands earn a living on boats, jack-up rigs and drill-ships used to drill oil and gas wells in the Gulf of Mexico and the inland waters of Louisiana. It is hard, dangerous work. Many of the men and women who work these rigs get hurt due to negligence or the unseaworthiness of the vessel. The crewmen of vessels are afforded the protection of the Jones Act and can recover damages from their employer for negligence in causing their injury or for the vessel’s unseaworthiness. Workers hurt on a fixed platform offshore are entitled to benefits under the Longshore & Harborworkers’ Compensation Act. A platform worker cannot sue his own employer for its negligence in causing his injury, but if someone else was at fault or perhaps there was a defective product or unreasonably dangerous structure, then a claim may be available to you. If you can’t work, someone should pay.
A. WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE HURT IN A MARITIME ENVIRONMENT?
What To Do When A Maritime or Offshore Accident Happens:
1. Don’t try to move if you are hurt.
a. Call for help and assistance. Get medical care if the injury causes substantial pain or appears serious.
2. Report the accident.
a. Don’t shield the people or equipment that caused the accident or to minimize your injuries.
b. List all your injuries to the supervisor.
c. Be sure an accident report is filled out and get a copy.
3. Get names, phone numbers, and the addresses of witnesses.
4. Get medical attention. Do not just hope the problems will go away
a. Go to your own doctor.
5. Don’t talk about your case.
6. If your injuries persist, call an attorney who is familiar with these cases.
7. Read any documents before you sign them. If you have questions, you should see an attorney.
Louisiana Supreme Court - http://www.lasc.org/
Louisiana Register - http://www.state.la.us/osr/lac/lac.htm-
LSU Law library - http://www.law.lsu.edu/library/
Code of Federal Regulations - http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/cfr-table-search.html-
Louisiana Secretary of State - http://www.sec.state.la.us/
Louisiana Bar Association - http://lsba.org/
Cajun Cyclist Bicycle Club - www.cajuncyclists.org
Rotary International - http://www.rotary.org/
Rotary District 6200 - http://www.rotary6200.org/
Abbeville Rotary Club - http://www.abbevillerotary.org/
American Trial Lawyers - WWW.ATLANET.ORG
Sierra Club - http://www.sierraclub.chapters.la.org-
La State Government Portal http://www.state.la.us/
Social Security on Line - http://www.ssa.gov/
Free Initial Consultation in Accident Cases
Bernard F. Duhon, Ltd. No attorney fees unless we collect compensation for you. Accident lawyer Bernard F. Duhon represents clients in southwest Louisiana, including Abbeville, Lafayette, Crowley, New Iberia, Vermilion Parish, Acadia Parish, Lafayette Parish, and Iberia Parish.
Areas of Expertise
Bernard F. Duhon
A Professional Law Corporation
111 Concord St - Suite B
PO Box 1169
Abbeville, LA 70511-1169
Born and raised in the heart of Acadiana, Bernard F. Duhon has a personal bond and a vested interest in the people of Acadiana. Bernard F. Duhon has a true passion for his work. Since 1977, Bernard F. Duhon's clients have turned to him for representation in:
PROBATE, SUCCESSIONS, WILLS, TRUSTS, REAL ESTATE, PROPERTY, FAMILY TRANSFERS AND PARTITION, LANDOWNER OIL & GAS, CORPORATE, BUSINESS NEEDS AND SERIOUS PERSONAL INJURY
Bernard prides himself on the personal attention he provides each and every client. Among his colleagues, Bernard F. Duhon is known for being aggressive, accessible, efficient and delivers quality legal services.
If success, straightforwardness, experience, promptness and dedication are things you look for in an attorney, look no further than Bernard F. Duhon.